February 05, 2012

Wheat and Corn Free Treats for your Dog



This morning I made Charlotte some delicious dog cookies.  Since Charlotte is a breed that gets lots of food allergies I make sure not to feed her any corn or wheat products because these are common food allergies for dogs.  I found these two recipes from a really cute website called Life with Lulu and Wally too!  Its about two Boston terriers and their daily antics.


The site has some great homemade dog treat recipes, both wheat and wheat free versions.

So this morning I made the Wheat Free Blueberry Flax Dog Cookies.


Mine looked different than the ones from Life with Lulu, mainly because she cut hers into nice looking squares while I rushed it and threw them on the tray in giant heaps!

The ingredients are:
2     cups rice flour
3/8  cup flax meal
1/4  cup blueberries
1/8  cup coconut oil
1/8  cup apple sauce
1     cup water

Bake at 350 degrees for 30nmins or until they turn light brown.  Then, turn off the oven and leave them inside to slowly cool for an hour with the oven door closed to keep in the heat.

I couldn't find any flax meal at the grocery store so I skipped this part, but I think the cookies turned out just fine.  They were a little on the chewy side but Charlotte still enjoyed them.  She loves blueberries!  Even I sampled them and thought they were pretty darn good.

That looks like a happy customer to me

 Mmm, thanks mom!



 Then, we made some peanut butter cookies using more rice flour. Another wheat free recipe from Life with Lulu.

The ingredients for this recipe are:
1   cup peanut butter
2   cups rice flour
1   cup milk

Mix ingredients together. Roll flat so dough is 1/4 inch thick.  Cut dough into squares or use whatever cookie cutter you have in the kitchen and place on a baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 mins and let cool before feeding to your hungry kitchen helper like Charlotte.


This recipe made a lot of peanut butter cookies.  I gave some away and am saving some for another dog treat recipe coming later this month.  They turned out delicious.  I sampled these ones too.  If they had any sugar added to them they would taste just like regular peanut butter cookies.

 While I was busy making the cookies, Charlotte was busy cleaning the peanut butter container out for mom.  What a nice girl.

1 comment:

  1. So glad Charlotte liked the cookie recipes! :D Looks like they turned out great! Thanks for letting us know you tried them and stop by again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...